|Status of 1.4|
by fiammybe on 2019/7/28 13:19:45
In my previous post, I was too optimistic about what needed to be done in order to get ImpressCMS 1.4 finished for global consumption. Because we want to be compatible with as many PHP 7 versions as possible, some PHP libraries will need to be updated as well.
One of the libraries that has been particularly problematic every time we touched it, is Smarty. We're still using Smarty 2, but the implementation we inherited from previous ImpressCMS versions is very much intertwined with the core. Combine that with the fact that a problem in Smarty usually takes us to a totally blank screen, and you have a hard to debug library upgrade on your hands.
Combined with holiday and heatwave periods, pace has been slow for now. I expect this to continue a for another few weeks, but I will try to finalise some tasks every few days.
|update 8 june 2019|
by fiammybe on 2019/6/8 15:04:17
I've had some interference by Life (tm) recently : either it was scorching hot, which didn't really tempt me to sit in front of a computer and sweat just because of the temperature, either we were having heat thunderstorms, and I was battling a leak in our roof. all of those aren't conductive to development sadly
That period seems to be over now (the leak is fixed, and the sun seems to be burning elsewhere), so now I can start finishing the 1.4 release.
As a matter of fact, the only thing that still needs to be done (and that is holding up that release of course) is the update procedure. The 1.4 release removes the banners functionality in the core, and replaces it with the banners module. That is a migration script that needs to be tested.
We're celebrating Pentecost tomorrow, and that means that we have a holiday on monday. Normally, I should have the 1.4.0 beta release out by monday evening to test the migration routine.
Not much progress on the composer integration until now. I really want to get this up and running, but composer is not easy to understand nor to debug.
by fiammybe on 2019/4/21 14:48:21
Easter holidays, so work has been a bit more slow. I did manage to finish the German translation in transifex this evening, I'll upload a complete translation pack tomorrow.
I did start to rework my solution to plugin to the composer library, but I got lost in the complexity of what I'm trying to get. I think I'm aiming too high, certainly for a first version Work continues on that, because it is one of the remaining new funtionalities that needs to go in before we can start looking into producing beta versions of the 2.0 branch - feature complete, but perhaps more bugfixing needed. My new approach is to let the design patterns on the side for the moment, and just get something working first. We can refactor the hell out of it afterwards.
Because nobody understood why we work in the 'retro' branch, and because those reasons date way back, Mekdrop has taken on the task of migrating our working branch for ImpressCMS 2.0 to the 'master' branch.
|Re: Working on ImpressCMS - micro-blog|
by fiammybe on 2019/4/9 4:18:56
I've installed the Chromium-based Edge browser on my machine, and it works like a charm. I know people will look at me sideways when I say that I didn't have any problem with the Edge that was included in Windows 10, I'm generally not such a plugin user so their initial lack didn't pose a problem to me. The chromium-based Edge feels faster and more responsive, and it remains very much Edge. The fact that there's a Google-sponsored Chromium engine underneath hasn't changed that much.
I mention this because I tested our site (of course) with Chromium Edge, and noticed that Edge now also suffers from ticket #100 in ImpressCMS 1.3. Time to get that sorted out.
David L asked how he could test out or current state of ImpressCMS 2.0, and it turns out that the documentation for that is severely lacking and/or out-of-date. I've given him a short roadmap on how to get a ImpressCMS 2.0 alpha 7 site up and running on his shared hosting, but it's time I wrote some documentation.
I discovered this morning when I was on the train going to Brussels that my work on the composer integration was more or less useless because I was re-inventing the wheel. Composer has a class 'installer' that takes care of most things for me.
I'm looking into resurrecting the API documentation for 1.3 and 2.0, and I've looked into Fabien Potencier's SAMI to do so. I know, it's been discontinued, but I still have to find a tool that allows me to do a command-line crawl directly in my Github repository. I have some issues with git telling me that my repository is not clean in the 1.3 branches, so I'll need to do some spring cleaning before that can be published.
|Working on ImpressCMS - micro-blog|
by fiammybe on 2019/4/9 4:02:31
I'm starting this thread to give you an idea about what I'm currently working on, without needing to fire up another module or another external service to do so. No guarantees about the frequency though.
No guarantees about the content either, except that it will be ImpressCMS-related, but I might ot limit my contributions here to pure development aspects.