Fork me on GitHub
Reply New Topic
2017/12/20 7:28:56
Webmaster

What are the parts of ImpressCMS that you can't live without?

on-and-off there is talk about rewriting the ImpressCMS core, based on a PHP framework or for some other reason. Whether you believe that is something worth doing or not, I am convinced that answering some questions about ImpressCMS will give an interesting perspective about what is worth investing time and effort, and what is not.

What are the parts of ImpressCMS that you can't live without, and why (the why is the most important)?

Me on Ohloh

2017/12/21 19:50:53
Home away from home

Re: What are the parts of ImpressCMS that you can't live without?

I am still a firm believer that speed and performance are critical for a website, especially for businesses, along with security. Those can work against each other and there must be compromises made (in favor of security )

User and group permissions gives you a lot of control over content access, and even how pages are presented. The user system also provides a huge framework for creating community websites that could only be accomplished with some serious updates to other platforms. It has the potential of being a complete CRM - and driving your public website, which other CRMs cannot do.

It's also important that there is a path forward. Having to fight through upgrading or migrating is never enjoyable.

Steve Twitter: @skenow Facebook: Steve Kenow

2017/12/26 21:08:01
Home away from home

I had a look through and there isn't much functionality that I would say would be worth cutting out. There's a few things that could use a revamp or perhaps could be moved out into modules instead of being in the core (eg. comments and banners). Maybe some of the libraries could be rationalised. TCPDF is the standout as you can usually just print a page directly through your browser these days, plus it's a pretty huge library. So I think it's more a case of reskinning what we have. The admin section could use a new look (is there a way to theme it?), and if we could adapt some responsive themes for the front end it would be great. There is a huge amount of really high quality themes out there for mainstream presentation frameworks like Bootstrap. How hard was it to adapt this Bootstrap theme for ICMS? Is it just a case of inserting the Smarty/ block zone placeholders in the right places? I've got a bit of a collection going of good free Bootstrap themes I could convert. CSS Grid also looks very interesting, may even replace Bootstrap in time, but it doesn't have enough browser support to bother with just yet. I think we could use a generic publishing module (I am working on it) and a new forum module (thinking about it - could probably manage a simple Reddit-style forum as previously discussed).

2017/12/27 3:49:43
Not too shy to talk

Here in Sweden ambition now is to jump 4G directly into 5G band width. As a user I don't know all that much about stability... but everything seems more compatible and stable now adays. Do you know why? SSD improves servers and pc's … how much? I mentioned in ”ImpressCMS 4-col themes for dummies (me) - basics and install in 1.3.10” the possibility to make Template Manager a module (that can be optimized for different site styles). Pls, also see my Q there. At the moment I can't see anything irelevant in the pack. ..although I guess it is obvious that lean code is to prefer.

2017/12/27 5:18:03
Webmaster

Thank you for the information. Personally, the functionality that keeps me from looking elsewhere is the easy way to encode multiple language content, without needing extra modules or core hacks. 

It is a shame though that only very few translations exist for the core (not even talking about modules), this limits greatly of appeal to non - English users. 

Me on Ohloh

2018/1/9 5:18:10
Just can not stay away

I thought a bit. We have many things but many of them are outdated if you try to compare with competitors.

@fiammybe, I think AsgardCms and some other does this in a better way. They are using .po files or php files with arrays, so that is easier to use some extra tools and translate modules and themes. Also, they supports possibility to use different language strings for different numeric values. For example, same language constant for forum filter could return such values:
0 - "Nothing found"
1 - "Amazing! One item found!"
2 - "Yey! Two results!"
> 2 - "{0} found"

With ICMS it's not easy to write such translations especially if for some languages not all numeric values should have same thresholds.

Also, in ICMS is easy thing to create page that can be accessible only in one selected language. You need to hack your theme or use preloads to make some pages accessible for such logic.

@skenow, sadly most new CMS'es are faster than ICMS. And some of them are also more secure, because with them is possible to encrypt some parts of data in database on the fly. ICMS caching is outdated. We do not support any memory caching mechanisms. Also, we still use tplsets that are database driven.

User and group permissions yes is still one of advanced features in ICMS. But I think we need could improve this part too. There are some other CMS'es that has pretty similar features.

Edited by MekDrop on 2018/1/9 5:35:00

2018/1/10 19:06:06
Home away from home

@mekdrop - I agree about speed and other CMS platforms. What is also true is ICMS 2.0 is currently slower than ICMS 1.3 - this we have complete control over. What we have to deliver is performance. Caching is good, but that is a feature that Meltdown and Spectre exploit. Where are we sacrificing our performance? Is there something we gain at the expense of speed?

We have made security a priority. Is that something we want as a major selling point? Online security is becoming a focus for everyone - how do we achieve better security and how do we capitalize on our emphasis on security?

I don't use multiple languages on sites I work with - an American fault. Do those other platforms you mention have easy ways of producing content in multiple languages? Or, just easier ways to translate the CMS generated text?

Here's another question that lines up with David's question - What makes ImpressCMS "ImpressCMS"? What is our unique offering?

2018/1/11 0:18:54
Just can not stay away

Quote:

skenow wrote:

@mekdrop - I agree about speed and other CMS platforms. What is also true is ICMS 2.0 is currently slower than ICMS 1.3 - this we have complete control over. What we have to deliver is performance. Caching is good, but that is a feature that Meltdown and Spectre exploit. Where are we sacrificing our performance? Is there something we gain at the expense of speed?

I think we can tune a bit performance once David finishes composer integration part. I don't know if this would be enough but maybe... Quote:

skenow wrote: ...

I don't use multiple languages on sites I work with - an American fault. Do those other platforms you mention have easy ways of producing content in multiple languages? Or, just easier ways to translate the CMS generated text?

Both. Quote:

skenow wrote: ...

We have made security a priority. Is that something we want as a major selling point? Online security is becoming a focus for everyone - how do we achieve better security and how do we capitalize on our emphasis on security?

I think most of new generation CMS'es solves that already and most security issues these days comes from themes and modules, and we also don't have anything here to offer, so I don't think that should be something that we should advertise. We should think about such thing more like requirement but not a feature.

2018/1/11 12:42:05
Home away from home

MekDrop wrote:

I think we can tune a bit performance once David finishes composer integration part. I don't know if this would be enough but maybe...

I'd be interested in how Composer could help with performance - any hints on how to do it? I believe there are still other performance improvements to recover in the core - again, 1.3 performs better than the 2.0 betas.

MekDrop wrote:

I think most of new generation CMS'es solves that already and most security issues these days comes from themes and modules, and we also don't have anything here to offer, so I don't think that should be something that we should advertise. We should think about such thing more like requirement but not a feature.

I can agree with making it a standard requirement, as long as we support it with testing.

2018/1/11 20:21:04
Home away from home

Re. security I suspect we there will see some major changes at Wordpress soon in the way their plugin system is managed, because it has become a security nightmare (check out the supply chain attacks described in the Wordfence blog). It is a good lesson for us also, if we move towards having a curated repository. Re. speed, I am wondering if a review of included files and libraries could help. Perhaps there are some things that could be consolidated, removed or made optional? Themes are another area where there are major speed boosts to be had. I have been playing with some really nice free Boostrap themes lately - and while they look great, they are *huge*. Mainly because of un-optimised artwork but also because of the sheer amount of Javascript libraries that are being bundled with them, some of which are old versions with security vulnerabilities of their own. Re. language, one idea may be to add language as a standard field on all content modules (eg. 2-letter ISO language codes). That would give us a $critieria to filter content by. I think there is a list of languages in the core IIRC.

2018/1/29 3:36:15
Not too shy to talk

In Impresscms everything is good, and needed I think.

But (and no critisism) there is this intrigueing Q about modules and page (blanks OR module-page) implementation.

page(empty or module)  -  block positions  -  theme-data - template manager - module(install area)
  //   many possible alternatives both for physical and visual connection.

... and where those should best be placed in admin area? For me as user (as publisher) this is much a topic wich make the site a mystery or comprehenceble.

This could perhaps be in a new thread.

Reply New Topic extras
 Previous Topic   Next Topic
You can view topic.
You can start a new topic.
You can reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You can post without approval.