Reply New Topic
2008/2/3 4:18:45
Home away from home

GoPHP5.org

Quote:

The Go PHP 5 campaign, sponsored by several PHP proponents, is intended to move the PHP developer community fully onto the PHP version 5 platform. Among the projects backing the effort are Symfony, Typo3, phpMyAdmin, Drupal, Propel, and Doctrine. These vendors are committing to use PHP 5.2 in releases developed after Tuesday Febuary 5th.

I believe we should join this effort. While 1.0 RC and 1.0 Final will still support PHP 4, all new code developed starting with 1.1 will be pure PHP 5.

We have had this conversation many thimes before, here and there, but I think now it's the time to take real action.

Thoughts ?

2008/2/3 4:39:14
Home away from home

Re: GoPHP5.org

Ouch
My host is still on PHP4
and if i want to use PHP5 i need to rename the extension all my uploaded files to .php5
If there's an easier way than that (maybe through .htaccess) I'm for it

I noticed that some modules stopped supporting PHP4, so maybe it's time.
And if we could be mentioned in that line of Typo and Symphony (with a link) that would be awesome (marketing).

2008/2/3 4:49:17
Home away from home

Many hosts allow a simple htaccess to make any php refference to point to php5 instead of php4.

The company I used to use for xoopsaddons allowed this also.

2008/2/3 4:52:33
Home away from home

All the major PHP open source project have made the move. It's time for us too...

2008/2/3 4:54:44
Home away from home

I say: go for it

Seriously - I know some people will point out that their hosts do not provide php5 support... but my valid argument to this is: why?

If a company cannot support php5 - then you should seriously consider changing host.

2008/2/3 7:10:40
Home away from home

i'm in agreement.

it would have saved a lot of time trying to make sha256 encryption compatible with both php 4 & 5 as php4 doesn't support sha2 encryption, so seperate standalone classes had to be found..

so we can just spend more time with php5 native functions as opposed to trying to make php 4 emulate those functions..

less code - faster ImpressCMS.

and you can also then replace some of the functions in the core with php 5 native functions. which in turn means less cpu time & overhead, aswell as less code which means for an even faster ImpressCMS again. :)

also PHP 5 allows are far far better handling of object orientation which means it will be a lot faster, especially when we are discussing the usage of smartobject etc & frameworks.

The quicker we make this move, the quicker we will achieve our goals & also learn things along the way :)

The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together!

2008/2/3 7:22:10
Home away from home

I just had to google some more.
In order to get php5 to work add the following line to your .htaccess
AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php
and providing they have configured php5 it should work, right?

2008/2/3 7:47:56
Home away from home

OK, I am very glad we all agree on this. This is indeed the future

I think we should make an announcement about this. Starting witrh ImpressCMS 1.1, we will improve our code using PHP 5.

Anyone wants to draft something ?

2008/2/3 7:49:29
Home away from home

Something that can help you word our announcement, found on the gophp FAQ :
Quote:

Do I have to go out of my way to break PHP 4 in my project?

No. The pledge is not to force projects to rewrite everything to try and break PHP 4. It's to focus on PHP 5.2 compatibility and not worry about earlier versions.

For instance, if you're going to be using objects then don't worry about PHP 4's object semantics. Just assume PHP 5's. If your project doesn't use objects, however, that's fine.

If you want to use one of the newer functions in PHP 5 that is possible to re-implement yourself, don't do so. Just assume that it will be there because you assume the presence of PHP 5. If you don't need them, though, don't use them.

If you're going to be parsing XML, use SimpleXML or the DOM routines. Don't worry about trying to make them work with PHP 4's primitive XML handling. But if you don't need to use XML, don't.

The goal is not to force projects or developers to write code a certain way. It's to enable developers to use newer, more-powerful tools without worrying ab

2008/2/3 8:03:47
Home away from home

hi,totally agree but there is a lot of modules that we use which cant work if we switch our hosting to php5 for example xoopspool and flashgames (the owner of this modules stoped supporting this :( )
we want fast core system but we want also more compatibility .

2008/2/3 9:00:52
Just can not stay away

To be blunt as far as i concerns the hosting as the reason:

Every hoster not providing easy means to use php5 cannot be taken seriously. If your hoster does give you a hard time with the switch to php5 then switch the hoster.

Many hosters will though have new servers with php5 as primary and still their old ones with php4 as primary ... but then its time to have them move your location. (talking about shared hosting here)

Its a bit harsh but its been a long time coming and any hoster ignoring this for such a long time is simply not doing his job with whats required to do hosting as a business.

End of story.

As far as talking about old modules:

You cannot only see the modules you loose but also that this will attract building of new modules. So its not only a loss. Also if a module is no longer supported and thats the reason for it not being fixed up for php5 then you also have to consider that there is no one interested enough in the module to make security fixes for that module when needed, right?

2008/2/3 9:58:04
Home away from home

Quote:

Every hoster not providing easy means to use php5 cannot be taken seriously. If your hoster does give you a hard time with the switch to php5 then switch the hoster.

You're absolutely right. My host has php5 support though, but I thought needed to rename the files to extension .php5 I googled and it turns out i can add the handler as in my previous post. So I'm safe.

Quote:

Also if a module is no longer supported and thats the reason for it not being fixed up for php5 then you also have to consider that there is no one interested enough in the module to make security fixes for that module when needed, right?

Exactly. In our downloads / addons site (when it's ready) we show that a module is or is not PHP5 compatible. If someone needs the module to be PHP5 compatible he has a choice to program it himself (if the dev doesn't want to) or find a replacement.

2008/2/3 10:05:13
Home away from home

Totally agree with the above comments.

2008/2/3 11:05:28
Home away from home

Quote:

Bender wrote:

You cannot only see the modules you loose but also that this will attract building of new modules. So its not only a loss. Also if a module is no longer supported and thats the reason for it not being fixed up for php5 then you also have to consider that there is no one interested enough in the module to make security fixes for that module when needed, right?

if we take the example of flashgames module wich is done by http://www.tipsmitgrips.de/. the modules is uptodate if we talking about security . but no plans to move it to php5 ! what about xoopspool ? there is a lot of ppl who are using it ? and it still running php4!

2008/2/3 11:11:30
Home away from home

XoopsPoll will be replaced soon by xicPool

2008/2/3 11:14:45
Home away from home

is there any developers who can help to update others modules?

2008/2/3 11:19:36
Home away from home

Often, there isn't much that needs to be done to make it compatible.

2008/2/3 12:05:49
Home away from home

so we will try it together

2008/2/3 12:25:42
Just can not stay away

Reply on behalf of Marcan:

fixing a PHP 4 module for PHP 5 is usually done in 5 minutes.

2008/2/3 14:54:58
Home away from home

Im with the idea of leaving support of php4... is an obsolete technology...

The use of php5 is going to open the doors to many other improvements to our projects...

Personally I think that an user that still wants to use php4, is not interested in our product... is not interested in the last technology...

Ohloh profile for nekro

Reply New Topic extras
 Previous Topic   Next Topic
You can view topic.
You can start a new topic.
You can reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You can post without approval.