Reply New Topic
2008/12/21 12:47:08
Home away from home

ImpressCMS, another Spin Off Success ?

2008/12/21 18:42:40
Home away from home

Re: ImpressCMS, another Spin Off Success ?

Half good comments... half not so good comments... but a good final not?

Ohloh profile for nekro

2008/12/21 21:19:19
Just popping in

imo its all good!

The only semi-negative reference is with the look and feel of the user interfaces. The reviewer is somewhat accurate in reference here, no reflection on the UI developers as ImpressCMS is really improving in this area. However functionality far outweighs the flash in the end its about delivering content to the enduser not about dazzling them with latest and greatest javascript,dhmtl and ajax magic.

The reference to the installation process is unfounded. In reality the both xoops and impresscms installations are far more logical then the reference cms, MODx. Reducing the number of screens is not more efficient, in fact I would think it's more confusing to the inexperienced user.

All in all it's a positive review, the strong points of any cms were touted (features, module settings, content management, user and groups access, tags, security and document management).

Congrats to the developers and support folks involved with ImpressCMS.

2008/12/22 0:28:08
Home away from home

Thank you very much, dbman.
Why not help us improve ImpressCMS some more?

As a matter of fact... I was installing ImpressCMS a lot this weekend and I see some room for improvement.
More on this later.

I like the article, by the way, but it shows that we still have a long way to go to impress more people...

2008/12/22 14:02:38
Home away from home

I personally didn't see anything negative there, just some good feedback.

I would say there are something in the install which could be simplified a little further requiring fewer screens. I think without checking that we currently have some 10 screens.

The reviewer had some valid points which will be taken on board, in fact it was only perhaps a week ago I believe we had a discussion about the default theme and made the decision that in the 1.2 release the theme will be changed.

2008/12/22 19:55:34
Just popping in

Quote:

Thank you very much, dbman. Why not help us improve ImpressCMS some more? As a matter of fact... I was installing ImpressCMS a lot this weekend and I see some room for improvement. More on this later. I like the article, by the way, but it shows that we still have a long way to go to impress more people...

I will contribute if I can, seems like a great community here! I recognize a lot of familiar names from xoops :)

Regarding the review of impress in particular the installation process, give modx a spin and I think you'll disagree with the reviewer's comments.

I've installed pretty much every cms that will run on a *nix system and the steps are pretty much identical for each. Modx has compounded a few steps into a single screen but all the same steps are there. Truthfully there are no shortcuts, from an installation process you must do the same upload, file permission change, database installation/configuration walk through.

I host 50+ xoops installs and always wonder what this must be like for the non-technical end user. Tom is correct, feedback good, bad or indifferent is always good. If you want to tune up the installation process sit a newbie in front of the keyboard and ask them to install impress with the provided documentation and on screen help. This is truly valuable feedback.

Reply New Topic extras
 Previous Topic   Next Topic
You can view topic.
You can start a new topic.
You can reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You can post without approval.