Reply New Topic
2009/3/22 12:23:27
Home away from home

MyTabs works not with IE8

Hello,

i have no windows but a users ha send me an info about MyTabs. I the block in the frontend, the user can find only an error and he can not see the block.

Does anbody has the same?

2009/3/22 15:55:33
Home away from home

Re: MyTabs works not with IE8

The good, the bad and the ugly ... see here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927917/en-us/

Inside the article microsoft means: The problem in ie8 no longer exist. Here´s the error warning from rene´s website:

HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917)
Line: 0
Sign: 0
Code: 0
URI:

Andy

P.S. Can someone tell the dev´s
Its not only the mytabs module, the wfdownloads 3.2 final beside some other problems has an analog problem, see the german error warning:

Details zum Fehler auf der Webseite

Das Objekt unterstützt diese Eigenschaft oder Methode nicht.
Zeile: 3974
Zeichen: 9
URI: http://yourdomain/libraries/prototype/prototype.js

Before ie8 i was the meaning the thickbox.js ist the problem, i cannot remember, i mean i delete one day the thickbox code and the error was gone ... before ie 8!

xxxxxxxxxxxx

See the error waning here in the addons section:
Details

'_gat' is undefined
Line: 577
Sign: 1
URI: http://addons.impresscms.org/modules/wfdownloads/

and if you open a download

'_gat' is undefined
Line: 1220
Sign: 1
URI: http://addons.impresscms.org/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?lid=15

and

the prototype error as before from the part above in german.

Das Objekt unterstützt diese Eigenschaft oder Methode nicht.
Line: 3974
Sign: 9
URI: http://addons.impresscms.org/libraries/prototype/prototype.js

2009/3/23 2:33:13
Home away from home

I guess it's good to monitor IE8 and change out our experience with IE8 in the forum. IE8 should handle CSS correctly ... finally.

One thing I noted is that images now need the title-tag to have balloons popup when moving the pointer over an image. With older versions of IE the alt-tag was enough for this, while FF was using the title-tag correctly.

2009/3/23 9:10:49
Home away from home

IE8 is a pain the ass like all other IE versions is, but more so.

here's an article that may make things a bit clearer >

http://faseidl.com/public/item/228970

Quote:

Web Developer Tip: X-UA-Compatibility Header Simplifies Life with IE8
Another version of IE to support means more developer headaches. But there's a little known bit of magic that helps ease the pain.
Once I added the meta element... we were able to close all support issues related to IE8 compatibility issues. And, I was able to stop pulling my hair out.

If you are responsible for a commercial web site or web application, you understand too well that there are significant differences between web browsers. Creating and maintaining a web site or web application that is truly cross-browser compatible is both a skill and and art. And now there's a new browser on the scene: Internet Explorer 8 ("IE8").

Just to keep web developers jumping, Microsoft decided to change the behavior of some extremely fundamental aspects of the browser. For example, the "onresize" event is the notification event that applications rely on to determine when something in the browser changes size, e.g., when a user resizes the browser window, an application may need to do something to adjust for the new window size. In its infinite wisdom, Microsoft decided to change the default behavior of this event. Never mind that millions of web pages rely on the long established behavior as implemented by IE7 (and IE6, IE5, IE4, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome, etc.).

Well, as it turns out, the new behavior could cause the MyST Blogsite editor to hang in an infinite loop. (Technically, it was processing an infinite cascade of onresize events.)

Fortunately, Microsoft also added a "Compatibility View" feature to IE8 that forces IE8 to behave more like IE7—that is, to be compatible with the millions of web pages that were tested against IE7 but now break under IE8. Unfortunately, they did not make Compatibility View the default. In other words, the default is non-compatibility. (Silly.)

After doing a little Googling, I ran across this article, by Aaron Gustafson, that provides a hint about how to force IE8 to use Compatibility View for a web page automatically, without requiring the user to mess with browser options.
X-UA-Compatible Header

Here's the magic.

IE8 recognizes a new HTTP response header that tells IE8 which browser(s) the web page has been tested against. In other words, with which browser(s) the web page is compatible. Specifying a value of "IE=7" means the web page is compatible with IE7 and causes IE8 to automatically process it using its Compatibility View.

Alternatively, you can specify the X-UA-Compatible details by placing an http-equiv meta element within the web page itself:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />

If you use the meta element approach, you must ensure that the tag appear early in the head section of the page. Specifically, it can be preceded by other meta elements and the title element, but will need to be placed above any other elements—and you can’t add it into the DOM via JavaScript.

@Andy (EXP) i have just removed thickbox from wfdownloads 3.2 and put it back to how it was prior to that. I will look at lightbox in future versions.

The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together!

2009/3/23 10:14:55
Home away from home

@vaughan - cough

2009/3/23 10:27:28
Home away from home

As far as I can see jquery lightbox, lightwindow and greybox don't cause any problems with IE8. Lightwindow and Greybox, both part of imLinks 1.01 work correct with IE8 and ICMS 1.1.2.

2009/11/10 14:08:43
Home away from home

are there news on this mytabs ie8 issue?
(i have it with ie 7 too sicnce a new update for it. it says its a javascript error and wont show the tabs)
someone should do the world a big favour and spread a firefox virus to replace every install of IE(i had 3 visitors using IE2.0!!!) with ff on the net.
in the meanwhile, can there be done anything?
i relay on mytabs, it's definitely awesome for startpages to give a neat overview.

thank you for every advise!!

2009/11/10 14:44:16
Home away from home

You can effectively say goodbye to this module as it utilizes the prototype library to function.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - though, tabcontent is so much easier with jQuery...

I will show you in a new post.

2009/11/10 17:48:20
Home away from home

This is strange... I am using my tabs v2 and it works fine in IE8 not one person has complained about it not working. Trust me these people would be all over my arse if it didn't work in IE8.

Mine work fine...

2009/11/10 18:17:53
Home away from home

Sure, but once 1.2 comes out - it will not.

The core uses jQuery
Mytabs uses prototype

Result = Mytabs will fail epically in ICMS

2009/11/11 1:50:19
Home away from home

MyTabs is overkill for such a simple effect. Making tabs is not that difficult. You can either use a jQuery plugin, or check Mr. Theme's tutorial, which doesn't require plugins and it's the approach that less code uses.

2009/11/11 3:44:50
Home away from home

thank you for the infos and the good tip with the selfmade tabs!
to some degree it's really bad news to me thou, but i am really happy that there seems to be a way to work around this as i read in Mr.Themes new thread here.

what i'm curious about thou is how it could be that it works with thomas' installation.
@thomas: do you have a special modified version, or did you adjust something yourself? are you really sure it works, and if so, could you maybe share a download to let me test wheter yours works here too then?

thank you!!

2009/11/11 7:48:53
Home away from home

@thomas - Also, be sure the site you are talking about is indeed an ICMS site - because I think the one you have in mind is not.

2009/11/11 14:53:11
Home away from home

Damn your right... it's 2.0.18 my bad... I didn't want to start this group of people off with impress at first.

2009/11/11 17:21:53
Home away from home

Quote:

Fortunately, Microsoft also added a "Compatibility View" feature to IE8 that forces IE8 to behave more like IE7—that is, to be compatible with the millions of web pages that were tested against IE7 but now break under IE8. Unfortunately, they did not make Compatibility View the default. In other words, the default is non-compatibility. (Silly.)

My experience with this is that it should be called 'incompatibility view'. It breaks IE8 on my site when older versions actually worked fine.

Damn you Microsoft! 2 more browsers to support in a single release. Arghh!!!!

2009/11/12 3:37:37
Home away from home

yes, s*** ie.
adding this "compatibility"
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" />
line to the theme.html head section did not do it.

are there other good ways to dynamically channel blockscontent together for a startpage overview area?
(i'll see if the whatsnew module could do it.)

hmm
so this works with 2.0.18 then??
could i work around this somehow to make it handle the mytabs like it?

thank you!

2009/11/12 8:42:27
Home away from home

Forget IE8 compatibility view. IE8 is now nearer Firefox than IE7, but their Javascript engine remains the same. Use IE8 in IE8 mode. trying to downgrade IE8 to a lesser browser is not a good idea.

IE8 is compatible enough with standards to let you find a common approach that works on IE8, Firefox and Chrome without having to use this nasty compatibility mode.

2009/11/12 8:47:56
Home away from home

Agreed, if anything - you should be upgrading older browsers to be MORE like IE8, (IE8.js)

and I will reiterate this again in case it was overlooked.

IF you plan on using 1.2 - you will need to either rewrite mytabs using jQuery (which Trabis may be doing anyway - but as he is X lead dev I am hesitant to expect an ICMS compatibility release) or give up mytabs all together.

Prototype and jQuery that is not in Compatibility mode will simply not work.

For that matter pretty much any raw combinations of javascript libraries will fail epically, with some obvious exceptions.

2009/11/12 10:35:02
Home away from home

Would be interesting to see what's required to get it to work for anyone that does want to use the module.

2009/11/12 12:16:45
Home away from home

hmm, i wish there was something like a compatibility bridge to support the other modules too, maybe this could be something static in a upgraded Frameworks expansionpack? like it's needed for the News Module and CBB. maybe this could provide to fill "generally xoops" based code gaps. then, ImpressCMS wouldn't be innovative only but also extremly versatile one could have a super performed IPF-Modules only setup, but also mix in some of the many many modules around. maybe it could stay compatible with 2.0.x modules, i just thought because it's based on 0.18 i guess.

i don't know if it would be a too exhausting and/or unreliable thing to do.
neverthenless, i'm definitely happy to make my site run on 1.2 and i'm sure there is a very good way to do it.

Reply New Topic extras
 Previous Topic   Next Topic
You can view topic.
You can start a new topic.
You can reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You can post without approval.